Amitabh Bachchan, popularly known as ‘Big B’ too, is definitely one of the most successful and accomplished actors in the Bollywood Indian film industry. Synonymous with the typical Indian adult of the time, Amitabh Bachchan began to be called the ‘Angry Young Man’, by critics and fans alike, thanks to his numerous roles as the good guy fighting against an evil establishment.
Amitabh Bachchan, apart from being a legendary movie actor, is also known to be a producer, TV show host and a former politician as well. His rise to fame in the 1970s and continued popularity till date have earned the legendary actor numerous monikers, including ‘Shahenshah of Bollywood’. In his career spanning over 50 years, Amitabh Bachchan has appeared in nearly 200 movies, making him one of the most influential actors not only in the Indian cinema but also amongst the global actors fraternity.
Amitabh Bachchan has been a great influence for the Indian cinema and has been a huge part in its growing years in the 1980s and 90s. His immense contribution to the Indian cinema and other avenues have earned him great movie awards and government citizen awards as well.
About Amitabh Bachchan
|Real Name||Amitabh Harivansh Rai Shrivastava|
|Nickname ||Amith, Munna, Angry Young Man, Shahenshah of Bollywood, Big B and AB Senior|
|Date of Birth||11th October 1942|
|Age (as in July 2018)||76 years|
|Place of Birth||Allahabad|
|Education||Bachelor of Science degree from Kirori Mal College (New Delhi)|
|Height||6 ft 1"|
(185 cm) approximately
|Hair Color||Salt & Pepper|
Family & Relationships
|Father||Harivansh Rai 'Bachchan'|
|Wife||Jaya Bhaduri Bachchan|
|Income (Annual)||INR 136,00,00,000|
(USD 20 Million)
|Famous for||Anand (1971), Zanjeer , Namak Haraam (1973), Deewar, Sholay (1975), Amar Akbar Anthony (1977), Don, Mukaddar Ka Sikander (1978), Coolie (1983), Agneepath (1990), Mohabbatein (2000), Black (2005), Paa (2009) & Piku (2015)|
|First Movie||Saat Hindustani (1969)|
|Net Worth (2018)||INR 2665,00,00,000 (USD 410 Million )|
Likes & Dislikes
|Favorite Actors||Dilip Kumar|
|Favorite Actresses||Waheeda Rehman|
|Food||Kheer, Jalebi, Gulab Jamun and Bhindi ki sabzi|
|Hobbies||Singing, Reading and Blogging|
Amitabh Bachchan’s age is around 76 years now and he is still one of the most powerful actors in the Indian movie industry. Amitabh Bachchan’s height is 6 ft 1 inch (185 cm) and Amitabh Bachchan’s weight is about 80 kg (176 lbs). Achieving immense popularity as an actor in the 1970s, Amitabh Bachchan was rumored to have had affairs with two of his co-actresses – Parveen Babi and Rekha.
However, Amitabh Bachchan’s wife is Jaya Bhaduri, one of the most influential actresses of the 1970s and 80s, and now an MP of Rajya Sabha. Amitabh Bachchan has two children – Abhishek Bachchan (son) and Shweta Bachchan Nanda (daughter. Amitabh Bachchan’s daughter-in-law, wife of his son Abhishek Bachchan the actor, is former Miss World (1994) and actress, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan.
Amitabh Bachchan’s annual income or salary is around INR 136 crores (USD 20 Million), and his net worth is almost INR 2,665 crores (USD 410 Million). His over 50 years-long career as an actor has won Amitabh Bachchan numerous awards, starting with the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Anand (1971), and continuing with another Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for Namak Haram (1973). Amitabh Bachchan won his first Filmfare Award for Best Actor in 1977 for his role in the highly popular movie, Amar Akbar Anthony. Next year, in 1978, Amitabh Bachchan also won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor for his role in Don. Amitabh Bachchan’s 1983 movie, ‘Coolie’, was rated as the highest-grossing Indian movie of the year.
Later, in 1990, Amitabh Bachchan won the National Film Award for Best Actor, for the blockbuster movie Agneepath. He has won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor for Hum (1991), Black (2005) and for Paa (2009).
Apart from receiving numerous awards for his amazing acting skills, Amitabh Bachchan is also the recipient of several honorary citizen awards, including Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award (1991), Filmfare Award’s ‘Superstar of the Millennium’ (2000), voted by BBC as the ‘Greatest Star of Screen of Stage’ in its 1999 ‘Your Millennium’ survey, Asian Film Awards’ ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ (2010), Padma Shri (1984), Padma Bhushan (2001), Padma Vibhushan (2015), title of ‘Knight of the Legion of Honor’ from the French Government (2007), among others.
For his massive contribution to the Indian film industry and his philanthropic initiative, Amitabh Bachchan has also been honored with the Amitabh Bachchan Road and Amitabh Bachchan Sports Complex in his hometown of Allahabad in Uttar Pradesh. A government senior secondary school in Etawah district has also been renamed as the Amitabh Bachchan Government Inter College.
Interesting Facts About Amitabh Bachchan
- Amitabh Bachchan used to smoke and drink but became a teetotaler since the early 1980s.
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Amitabh Bachchan’s father, was a renowned Hindi poet in his days.
- Although born as Amitabh Shrivastava, his name was soon changed to Amitabh Bachchan, by his father, after his pen-name as a poet.
- Amitabh Bachchan was an avid athlete, winning 100, 200 and 400 meters races in school, as well as winning a Boxing Championship at The Sherwood College in Nainital.
- Although renowned for his distinct baritone voice, Amitabh Bachchan was rejected by All India Radio in his heydays.
- Amitabh Bachchan first shared screen-space with his now wife, Jaya Bhaduri, as a guest star in the movie Guddi (1971).
- His aggressive demeanor as Inspector Vijay Khanna in his first hit movie Zanjeer (1973), earned him the moniker of ‘Angry Young Man’. This role is still considered to be one of the most iconic roles in the history of Indian cinema.
- During the shoot for the movie ‘Coolie’ (1983), Amitabh Bachchan suffered a severe accident, and was declared clinically dead for around 11 minutes, before having been successfully revived with adrenaline injections by the doctors int he Bangalore hospital where he was brought in for treatment.
- Amitabh Bachchan took a break from movies in 1984 and contested for the Lok Sabha seat from his hometown Allahabad. He won with 68.2% vote, the highest record wining margin by any candidate in general elections.