Mumtaz is one of the most renowned actors from the younger days of Indian film industry. Mumtaz is renowned for playing unconventional characters, despite having the beauty and charm which was out of this world.
Mumtaz made her acting debut as a child artist in the Hindi film industry in 1958 and has since appeared in numerous movies, especially in action roles.
Mumtaz is renowned for her impressive performance in physically-demanding role in her movies and attracted millions of fans, including some of the top actors in the industry of the time.
|Real Name||Mumtaz Madhvani|
|Date of Birth||31st July 1947|
|Age (as of September 2018)||71 years|
|Place of Birth||Mumbai|
|Height||5 ft 6"
(168 cm) approximately
Family & Relationships
|Father||Abdul Salim Askari
(Fry Fruits Merchant)
|Mother||Shadi Habib Agha|
|Famous for||Stree (1961), Rustom Sohrab, Mujhe Jeene Do, Faulad, Gehra Daag (1963), Samson, Hercules, Baghi (1964), Tarzan, King Kong, Son Of Hatimtai, Sikandar-E-Azam, Rustom-E-Hind, Mere Sanam, Kaajal, Hum Diwane, Do Dil, Boxer (1965), Sawan Ki Ghata, Pati Patni, Daku Mangal Singh, Suraj (1966), Ram Aur Shyam, Patthar Ke Sanam, Humraaz, Do Dushman, CID 909, Aag (1967), Brahmachari (1968), Mera Dost, Do Raaste, Bandhan (1969), Pardesi, Khilona, Himmat, Bhai Bhai, Mela, Kathputli, Tere Mere Sapne, Hare Rama Hare Krishna (1971), Dushman, Tangewala, Dharkan, Apradh, Apna Desh (1972), Loafer (1973), Chor Machaye Shor, Roti (1974), Prem Kahani (1975), Nagin (1976), Aandhiyan (1990)|
|First Movie||CHILD ACTOR -
Sone Ki Chidiya (1958)
LEAD ACTOR -
|Favorite Actors||Dharmendra and Dara Singh|
|Hobbies||Dancing and driving|
Mumtaz is one of the most popular actresses of the heydays of Bollywood. She was the top star of action movies and was popular was doing her own stunts. The obsession to perform her own stunts made her co-star, popular wrestler and actor Dara Singh to start calling her ‘Stunt Princess’.
Mumtaz’s age is around 71 years as Mumtaz was born on the 31st of July, 1947 in Mumbai. Mumtaz’s height is around 5 ft 6 inches (168 cm) while Mumtaz’s weight is around 65 kg (143 lbs). In her spare time, Mumtaz loves to dance or go for a long drive, as part of her hobbies.
Mumtaz’s father was a dry fruit vendor, Abdul Saleem Askari while Mumtaz’s mother was of Irani-Afghani descent, called Shadi Habib Agha. Although Mumtaz does not have any brothers, Mumtaz’s younger sister is also an actress, called Mallika, who later married Dara Singh’s younger brother, Randhawa Singh. Mumtaz was rumored to be in relationship with several of her co-stars, including the likes of Rajesh Khanna, Shammi Kapoor and Dharmendra. However, Mumtaz’s husband was the late businessman, Mayur Madhvani, whom she married to since 1974. Mumtaz and Mayur Madhvani have two lovely daughters – Natasha Madhvani and Tanya Madhvani.
Talking about her success as an actress in the Indian film industry, Mumtaz has won the Bengali Film Journalists Association (BFJA) Award for Best Supporting Actress for her impressive performance in ‘Brahmachari’ (1968). Mumtaz has also won the Filmfare Best Actress Award for her excellent acting in ‘Khilona’ (1970).
Apart from winning these prestigious awards Mumtaz was also nominated for other awards, thanks to her versatile acting talent. Mumtaz was on the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award nomination for her role in ‘Ram Aur Shyam’ (1967) as well as the Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award nomination for her role in ‘Aadmi Aur Insaan’ (1969).
Besides these, Mumtaz was also honored with the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 1996 and the International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) 2008 Honorary Award for Outstanding Contribution by an Indian in Cinema too.
Interesting Facts About Mumtaz
- It is not known whether Mumtaz is a smoker or if she drinks alcohol.
- Mumtaz was raised by her single mother, as her father divorced her within a year of Mumtaz being born.
- Mumtaz decided to enter acting at the age of 13 years in order to support her family financially at the time.
- Mumtaz is most renowned for being the lead actress in over 15 action films, all of them alongside popular actor and wrestler Dara Singh.
- Mumtaz was paid around INR 2.5 lacs for her movies, which was considerable for an actress in the Indian film industry, even in the 1970s.
- Mumtaz considers ‘Do Raaste’ (1969) as being one of the top favorite movies till date.
- Mumtaz was the lead actress in several blockbuster movies, along with Rajesh Khanna, in 1969.
- Mumtaz starred with Rajesh Khanna in 10 super hit movies of the time.
- Mumtaz was set to marry her long-time boyfriend and popular actor Shammi Kapoor, however his demand for her to quit acting after the marriage resulted in her breaking off their relationship.