Sridevi was a true superstar and the most popular actress in Bollywood. With a career of over 50 years in the Indian film industry, Sridevi was amongst the first actresses to have performed incredibly in several Indian film industries at the same time.
Sridevi was not only a popular actress in the Hindi film industry, but was also renowned for her roles in numerous other film industries, such as Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Tamil film industries.
Even after her demise, Sridevi continues to be one of the most celebrated artists from the Indian film industry.
|Real Name||Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan|
|Nicknames||Sridevi, Chandni, Hawa Hawai and Joker|
|Date of Birth||13th August 1963|
|Age (at the time of Death)||54 years|
|Place of Birth||Meenampatti (Tamil Nadu)|
|Height||5 ft 6"|
(168 cm) approximately
|Eye Color||Light Brown|
Family & Relationships
|Father||Late Ayyapan Yanger|
|Mother||Late Rajeshwari Yanger|
|Net Worth||INR 247,00,00,000|
(USD 34 Million)
|Famous for||Thunaivan (1969), Poompatta (1971), Moondru Mudichu (1976), Sigappu Rojakkal (1978), Vetagaadu (1979), Johnny (1980), Sadma (1983), Nagina (1986), Mr. India (1987), Chandni, Chaalbaaz (1989), Lamhe (1991), Khuda Gawah (1992), Gumrah (1993), Judaai (1997), English Vinglish (2012), Mom (2017)|
|First Movie||TAMIL - |
Thunaivan (1967 - as Child Artist)
Kumara Sambhavam (1969)
Bhakta Kumbara (1974)
Maa Nanna Nirdoshi (1970)
Julie (1975 - as Child Artist)
Solva Sawan (1978 - Lead Role)
Malini Iyer (2004)
|Annual Income||INR 15,00,00,000|
(USD 2 Million)
|Favorite Food||Rassam Rice and vanilla ice cream|
|Favorite Actors||Shahrukh Khan and Sylvester Stallone|
|Favorite Actress||Meryl Streep|
|Hobbies||Painting, dancing and doing yoga|
Sridevi remains one of the most legendary actresses and was considered to be India’s first female superstar. Sridevi was cute, charming, witty and renowned for playing pranks on close family and friends.
Sridevi’s age at the time is her demise was 54 years, as Sridevi was born on the 13th of August, 1963. Sridevi was born in Meenampatti, a small town in Tamil Nadu. Sridevi’s height was around 5 ft 6 inches (168 cm) while Sridevi’s weight was around 56 kg (123 lbs). In her spare time, Sridevi loved to paint, dance or do yoga. Sridevi passed away on the 24th of February, 2018 due to drowning after falling unconscious in a hotel bathtub.
Sridevi’s father was the late Ayyapan Yanger, a lawyer by profession, and Sridevi’s mother was the late Rajeshwari Yanger. Sridevi’s sister was named Latha while she has two step-brothers, Satish and Anand. Although Sridevi was previously married to legendary actor Mithun Chakraborty till 1988, Sridevi’s husband was popular film producer Boney Kapoor, whom she was married from 1996 to her demise in 2018. Sridevi and Boney Kapoor have four children in all – stepson Arjun Kapoor, the young actor, as well as daughters Jhanvi Kapoor, an up and coming actress, and also Khushi Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor (step-daughter).
Thanks to her impressive acting talent and having an experience of nearly 50 years in the film industry, Sridevi was also amongst the richest celebrities in the country. Sridevi’s salary per film is estimated to be around INR 4.5 crores (USD 620,000) which brought Sridevi’s annual income to around INR 15 crores (USD 2 Million). Sridevi’s net worth at the time of her demise was estimated to be around INR 247 crores (USD 34 Million).
Sridevi won the heart of millions of fans and even her hardcore critics and was considered to be one of the most influential and successful actresses of her time. Sridevi was the recipient of numerous awards and honors.
Sridevi’s awards include winning the Kerala State Film Awards’ Best Child Artist award for her role in ‘Poombatta’ (1971). Later, Sridevi won the Filmfare Awards South’s Special Award for her role in ’16 Vayathinile’ (1977). Next, Sridevi won the Tamil Nadu State Film Award’s Best Actress award for her role in ‘Moondram Pirai’ (1981), and also won the Filmfare Awards South’s Best Actress – Tamil award for her performance in ‘Meendum Kokila’ (1982).
Sridevi also won the Filmfare Awards’ Best Actress award for her impressive performance in the Bollywood hit ‘Chaalbaaz’ (1990). Next, Sridevi won the Filmfare Awards South’s Best Actress – Telugu award and the Nandi Awards’ Best Actress award for ‘Kshana Kshanam’ (1991), as well as winning the Filmfare Awards’ Best Actress award for ‘Lamhe’ (1992).
Although Sridevi continued to be nominated for several acting awards, Sridevi next won the BIG Star Entertainment Awards’ Most Entertaining Actress in a Social – Drama Film award, the Stardust Awards’ Best Actress – Drama award, the IRDS Best Performance award and the Jagran Film Festival’s Best Actress Award for her impressive role in ‘English Vinglish’ (2013).
For her last film, Sridevi won the National Film Awards’ Best Actress award, the Zee Cine Awards’ Best Actress (Jury’s Choice) award, the Bollywood Film Journalist Awards’ Best Actress award, International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role as well as the International Indian Film Academy Special Award, for her amazing performance in ‘Mom’ (2018).
Apart from winning these prestigious film awards, Sridevi was also honored with other awards.
Sridevi was the recipient of the Order of Afghanistan for her impressive performance in ‘Khuda Gawah’, in 1991.
Sridevi was also honored with the Padma Shri award, India’s 4th-highest civilian award by the Government of India in 2013.
Interesting Facts About Sridevi
- Although Sridevi was a non-smoker she did drink alcohol.
- Sridevi’s father was Tamil while her mother came from a Telugu family.
- Sridevi made her debut as a child artist at the tender age of just 6 years.
- Sridevi is one of the handful of actors in Indian film industries who were successful and received awards as child artists as well as when they were lead actors.
- Sridevi had to have her dialogues dubbed initially as she was not fluent in speaking the language when she started acting in Bollywood movies.
- Sridevi remains one of the most remembered and celebrated actresses not only in the Bollywood film industry but also in every south Indian cinema industry as well.
- After an impressive performance in ‘Sadma’ Sridevi went on to achieve immense recognition in the Hindi film industry after she player a lead role in ‘Chandni’, which made her a household name after that.
- Sridevi was also the highest-paid actress between 1985 and 1992.
- Although she never trained professionally, Sridevi was still considered to be one of the best dancers in the Indian film industry.
- Sridevi was most popular when she was cast opposite Jeetendra, as the duo went on to star in over 15 films, out of which 11 became successful at the box office.
- Sridevi was even offered a role by legendary Hollywood director Steven Spielberg to star in his first film in the Jurassic Park franchisee, however Sridevi refused the role as it was only a small one.
- Sridevi is also recognized as one of the very few actors who have performed double roles in their movies, as Sridevi is credited for appearing in double role in 7 of her movies.
- Sridevi’s return to Bollywood after a long hiatus with ‘English Vinglish’ (2012), earned her critical acclaim and numerous awards too.