Max von Sydow is a Swedish-French actor who is very popular in the Hollywood movie industry from a very long time.
Max von Sydow, born Carl Adolf von Sydow, is also a veteran actor of numerous European film industries. Max von Sydow was passionate about acting since he was a kid and founded an amateur theatrical company along with his friends at school. After training in Stockholm for a few years Max von Sydow made his movie debut in 1949.
Max von Sydow has appeared in over 100 movies and TV shows in his nearly 70 year-long career as an actor. Max von Sydow’s brilliant acting skills have earned him numerous prestigious acting awards and also earned him numerous award nominations too.
About Max von Sydow
|Real Name||Carl Adolf von Sydow|
|Nickname||Max von Sydow and Max|
|Date of Birth||10th April 1929|
|Place of Birth||Lund (Sweden)|
|Education||Graduated from Royal Dramatic Theater (Stockholm)|
|Height||6 ft 4"|
(193 cm) approximately
Family & Relationships
|Father||Carl Wilhelm von Sydow|
|Mother||Maria Margareta "Greta" |
|Net Worth||INR 113,00,00,000|
(USD 16 Million)
|Famous for||MOVIES -|
Only a Mother (1949), Miss Julie (1951), The Seventh Seal (1957), Brink of Life (1958), The Virgin Spring (1960), Through a Glass Darkly (1961), The Mistress (1962), Winter Light (1963), Hawaii (1966), Hour of the Wolf (1968), The Passion of Anna (1969), The Kremlin Letter (1970), The Touch (1971), The New Land (1972), The Exorcist (1973), Steppenwolf (1974), The Ultimate Warrior (1975), Voyage of the Damned (1976), Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977), Brass Target (1978), Flash Gordon (1980), Flight of the Eagle (1982), Never Say Never Again (1983), Dune (1984), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), Pelle The Conqueror (1987), Katinka (1988), Father (1990), The Best Intentions (1991), The Silent Touch (1992), Needful Things (1993), Time is Money (1994), Judge Dredd (1995), Hamsun (1996), Hercules (dubbed-1997), Minority Report (2002), Emotional Arithmetic (2007), Solomon Kane (2009), Shutter Island, Robin Hood (2010), Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011), Branded (2012), Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)
The Diary of Anne Frank (1967), Samson and Delilah (1984), The Last Place on Earth (1985), Christopher Columbus (1985), Red King, White Knight (1989), Uncle Vanya (1994), Citizen X (1995), Private Confessions (1996), Hostile Waters (1997), Nuremberg - "Episode 1" (2000), Hidden Children: Escape of the Innocents (2004), Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King (2004), The Tudors (2009), Game of Thrones (2016)
|First Movie||Only a Mother (1949)|
Max von Sydow has become a legendary actor with his powerful performances in innumerable English, Swedish, Norwegian, German, Italian, Danish, French and Spanish movies. Max von Sydow has an impressively extensive career as an actor who has portrayed several globally popular movie characters till date. Max von Sydow has become an institution in acting himself, thanks to his vast experience and excellent talent as an actor in various movie industries.
Max von Sydow’s age is around 89, as Max von Sydow was born on the 10th April, 1929 in Lund, southern Sweden. Max von Sydow’s height is around 6 ft 4 inches (193 cm) while Max von Sydow’s weight is around 80 kg (176 lbs). Max von Sydow’s hobby and passion is acting.
Max von Sydow comes from royalty and belonged to a wealthy title-holding family. Max von Sydow’s father was Carl Wilhelm von Sydow, who was a renowned Ethnologist as well as a professor of European folklore at the University of Lund, Stockholm. Max von Sydow’s mother was Baroness Rappe, Maria Margareta “Greta”, who also worked as a schoolteacher. Max von Sydow was the only child to his parents and hence Max von Sydow does not have any brothers or sisters. Max von Sydow was earlier married to Swedish actress Christina Igna Britta, whom he married in August of 1951 till their divorce in February of 1979. Max von Sydow’s sons from his first marriage include Claes von Sydow and Henrik von Sydow, who are actors too. Max von Sydow’s wife is French assistant director Catherine Brelet whom he has been married to since April 1997.
Max von Sydow’s commercial success has been significant in his 70 years as an actor. Max von Sydow’s net worth is estimated around INR 113 crores (USD 16 Million).
Talking about Max von Sydow’s award-wins Max von Sydow has received numerous prestigious acting awards and had numerous other award nominations to her credit as well.
The list of Max von Sydow’s awards begins with Max von Sydow winning the:
- Venice Film Festival’s Pasinetti Cup for Best Actor for his role in ‘Flight of the Eagle’ (1982)
- Bodil Award for Best Actor for his impressive role in ‘Pelle the Conqueror’ (1987)
- European Film Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Pelle the Conqueror’ (1987)
- Guldbagge Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Pelle the Conqueror’ (1987)
- Robert Festival Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Pelle the Conqueror’ (1987)
- National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actor – 3rd – for his role in ‘Pelle the Conqueror’ (1987)
- Guldbagge Award for Best Film for ‘Katinka’ (1988)
- Guldbagge Award for Best Director for ‘Katinka’ (1988)
- Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Father’ (1990)
- Tokyo International Film Festival’s Best Actor Award for his role in ‘The Silent Touch’ (1992)
- Karlovy Vary International Film Festival Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Time is Money’ (1994)
- Guldbagge Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Hamsun’ (1996)
- Valladolid International Film Festival Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘Hamsun’ (1996)
Besides having won these 13 awards, Max von Sydow has also had over 11 award nominations in his career till date.
Interesting Facts About Max von Sydow
- Max von Sydow was intrigued with acting from a very young age and started an amateur dramatics group with a group of his school mates.
- Max von Sydow’s favorite role was in the critically-acclaimed movie ‘Pelle the Conqueror’ (1987) which has also been ranked one of the world’s best character portrayals in cinema.
- Max von Sydow is fluent not only in his native language Swedish but Max von Sydow cab also converse in Italian, German, French and English too.
- Max von Sydow’s son appeared in ‘Hawaii’ (1966) and played the characters of his on-screen son at different ages.
- Max von Sydow was cast frequently by legendary Swedish filmmaker Ingrid Bergman in his movies.