Peter Mayhew is an English-American actor who is popular for playing Chewbacca in the Star Wars movies.
Peter Mayhew had never thought about becoming an actor and worked as an orderly at a London hospital. Peter Mayhew got his first screen role in 1976 for playing a Minotaur in a mythical movie. Soon, the producers of Star Wars saw his performance and offered him the role of Chewbacca.
Although Peter Mayhew has retired from acting now, Peter Mayhew will always be remembered for playing the friendly yet dangerous Wookie in all of the Star Wars movies.
About Peter Mayhew
|Real Name||Peter Mayhew|
|Date of Birth||19th May 1944|
|Place of Birth||Barnes (Surrey)|
|Education||Graduated from High School|
|Height||7 ft 3"
(221 cm) approximately
|Hair Color||Salt and Pepper|
Family & Relationships
|Mother||Sharon Denise Mayhew
|Wife||Mary Angela Mayhew
|Net Worth||INR 3,50,00,000
|Famous for||MOVIES -
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, Star Wars (1977), Terror (1978), Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Return of the Ewok (1982), Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983), Dragon Ball GT: A Hero's Legacy (2004), Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005), Yesterday Was a Lie (2008), Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015), Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017), Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
Donny and Marie (1977), Star Wars Holiday Special (1978), The Muppet Show (1980), Dark Towers (1981), The Kenny Everett Television Show (1985), Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2011), Glee - "Extraordinary Merry Christmas" (2011)
|First Movie||Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)|
Peter Mayhew is synonymous for playing the giant Wookie ‘Chewbacca’ in the Star Wars movie series. After having been spotted for his role as the Minotaur in ‘Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger’ (1977) Peter Mayhew was considered perfect to play the tall, hairy alien in the Star Wars movie. Peter Mayhew later on played Chewbacca in all Star Wars productions, including giving his voice to the character in the animated versions of Star Wars too.
Peter Mayhew’s age is around 76, as Peter Mayhew was born on the 19th of May, 1944 in Barnes, Surrey. Peter Mayhew’s height is an astonishing 7 ft 3 inches (221 cm). Peter Mayhew’s weight is around 80 kg (176 lbs). Peter Mayhew’s hobbies and Peter Mayhew’s passion are acting.
Peter Mayhew’s father was Alfred Mayhew, who worked in the city council of Barnes, while Peter Mayhew’s mother was Sharon Denise Mayhew, a homemaker. Peter Mayhew was the only child to his parents and hence Peter Mayhew does not have any brothers or sisters. Peter Mayhew’s relationship status is married. Peter Mayhew’s wife is Mary Angela Mayhew, who is a successful businesswoman from Texas. We currently do not have any information if Peter Mayhew has children or not.
Thanks to his impressive popularity as Chewbacca and appearance in almost all of the Star Wars franchise productions, Peter Mayhew’s net worth is estimated around INR 3.5 crores (USD 500,000).
Interesting Facts About Peter Mayhew
- Despite standing over 7 ft tall, Peter Mayhew does not suffer from Gigantism, the rare genetic disorder that results in abnormal height growth.
- Peter Mayhew was seen in a photograph accompanying an article on people with big feet by the producers of ‘Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger’ who decided Peter Mayhew was the perfect choice to play the Minotaur.
- Peter Mayhew worked as an orderly at the Radiology department of the King’s College Hospital, London before being auditioned for the role in the Sinbad movie in 1976.
- Peter Mayhew won the MTV Film Awards’ 1997 Lifetime Achievement Award for his role as Chewbacca in the Star Wars movies.
- Peter Mayhew has also appeared in his Chewbacca character for several TV ads as well as on several TV shows.
- Peter Mayhew finally retired from acting in 2015 after the ‘Star Wars’: The Force Awakens’ was released.